How to make assorted cookies using one base recipe and turning it into a variation of 3 doughs from one. This one features: Chocolate, Nutmeg, and Jamun Jam.
Base Cookie Dough:
(makes: 18-20 cookies, depending on the size you make them in!)
- 1/3 cup oil/softened butter (You can use both as long as the total amount of both when added is 1/3 cup)
- 2/3 cup sugar, powdered
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup all purpose flour + another 1/2 cup to adjust the dough consistency
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream the butter and sugar by whisking them. Add the egg and vanilla essence. Mix till well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the 1 cup flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, form a dough.
- If it’s too sticky and sludgy, add some from the 1/2 cup flour reserved for this purpose. You’re looking for a slightly wet and sticky dough.
- Baking temperature and time: 15-20 mins at 200ºC on a parchment paper lined baking tray, or one lightly oiled then floured.
Divide the cookie dough into three equal portions.
For Chocolate Cookies:
Add 1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder and knead it into the dough till it’s well combined. You can add chopped chocolate chunks or chips to it. Done.
For Nutmeg Cookies:
Add 1/4 teaspoon of grated nutmeg. Knead! Done.
For Jamun Jam Cookies:
Roll your dough into 1″ balls. Lightly flatten down on your prepared baking tray. Keep them 1.5″ apart. Press the center of each a bit. Place your required amount of jam, press the jam down gently with the back of the spoon. Done.
You can check out my Jamun Jam recipe that I used for this.