I’m in that zone where I may not be craving it but I’m definitely clawing at chocolate flavoured things the way a zombie would paw at your pretty little brain. Sans the sound effect, obviously.
I’ve been asked every now and then to develop an eggless and whole wheat pancake recipe. And I did. Except, that, I went a step ahead and turned it into a marble one. And, for the uninitiated, cakes and pancakes etc., with this design are called marble. Marble cakes, pancakes, cookies, ice cream. Possibilities are endless.
Anyway, here’s how I went about it.
For the pancakes: (makes: 6-7, medium sized)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- For sweetening: 2 teaspoons of sugar / any substitute / 2 tablets of sugarfree
- Oil/butter for cooking
For the chocolate sauce:
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
- For sweetening: 1 teaspoon sugar / 1 sachet of sugarfree / a couple of pieces of chocolate of your choice
- Combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the 3/4 cup milk and sweetener. Mix till everything is well incorporated.
- In a separate and smaller bowl, pour out a third of the batter. Add cocoa 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder, and 1 tablespoon milk. Stir.
- Take the vanilla bowl and try to collect/push the batter to one side. And on the emptied side, pour the chocolate batter.
- Give everything just TWO slow stirs, maximum.
- Heat a pan, preferably a non-stick (I used a not so non stick hehe) and add a few drops of oil or grease it with a bit of butter.
- Take a tablespoon of the batter (avoid stirring the batter) and place one on the pan. I make them like 3″ in diameter so being medium sized, 3 fit on one pan, and it makes my work easier anyway.
- Let them cook on each side for at least a minute of low-medium heat before taking them out.
If using a microwave:
- Microwave the milk for 10 seconds on the reheat mode. Add cocoa powder and sweetener (if using). Stir till there are no lumps. Add the chocolate (if using).
- Microwave for another 10 seconds. It’ll boil and bubble. Take it out and stir again. Done.
If using a stove:
- Heat the milk till it’s hot but not boiling. Turn off the heat. Add cocoa powder. Stir. And the sugar/chocolate (whichever you’re using). Stir.
- Heat it again, and turn off the heat the moment it begins to boil. Done.